A Daily Difference

We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
- Marian Wright Edelman

I think we are too hard on ourselves.  In our work, in our daily lives, in our relationships with others - we never think we measure up.  That there is something we could always do better.  That we could always be better.

The beginning of a new school year is always a bit rough for me.  I miss my students.  I  miss any students.  I miss the daily interaction with them, learning from them, feeling like I have a purpose.

Not that I don't think I have a purpose now. Just that it is different.

I left the classroom because I thought I could make a larger difference.  That instead of just impacting the students I had that year, I could impact ten times that number by working with their teachers.  That I could be a real change agent in the field of education - something that hasn't really changed in 100 years.

Maybe I set my sights too high.  Or maybe, I am not looking at the small differences that I make. I'm going to start looking closer.  And I am going to start letting others know when they have made a difference for me.

 Have a fantastic new school year!

1 comment:

Mrs. Tenkely said...

I can relate. Struggling with this very thought process myself right now. I miss my students.